Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Costa Rica- my flight and family

Hey everyone, sorry my other blog hasn't had any other posts besides the one the night before I left. When I arrived in Costa Rica at my new home, I attempted to log in and blog before I went to sleep. However, google thought I was a hijackering, because I was trying to log in from a different country then where I set up my account.
My trip down here wasn't as smooth as I had hoped it to be. The airport in Milwaukee went fine, passes through security without a problem! Didn't even take my belly button ring out, yet I didn't beep at the metal detector. The flight from Milwaukee to Charlotte, North Carolina was fine for my first flight ever. However, I was almost not allowed on the plane from North Carolina to Costa Rica.
My ticket was booked for one day too many (91 instead of the limit of 90) and they told me I couldn't fly. I started to cry and tried making a few phone calls, but then my phone died, luckily I brought my charger in my carry-on. I was nervous that my Costa Rica experience would never start. I figured I was going to have to stay in the airport and book a flight home. Eventually the attendant told me they were going to allow me to board the plane. I met one of my fellow classmates in Charlotte and we flew smoothly together to San Jose, Costa Rica. When we arrived at the airport, we couldn't find our guide right away, luckily a nice gentleman asked us who we were looking for and went and found our guide for us. He truly demonstrated Costa Rican hospitality! We took a taxi to our university- la Universidad Veritas and met our host families.
I'm staying with a host family who is very kind, and who themselves have a busy life of their own outside of trying to care for a total of five students. There is Mariela the mother, Kenneth the father, and Monserrath the little 4 year old girl. Mariela and Kenneth both hold jobs, as well as care for Monsy (that's what we call her). Mariela also attends classes a few days a week about an hour away from home, but an hour here is much different than an hour in the United States in my opinion.
The other girls that live here are Quincey, Shey, Kresta, and Kate. Each from very different places as well. We are all from different states and bring our own opinions and views to the table, literally. We eat breakfast and dinner together every morning and night, as well as see each other in passing at school. School is only a 30 second walk out the door, we literally live next door to campus! This has been very convenient if any of us forget something, we can just rush home to grab it.

No comments:

Post a Comment